Monday, September 26, 2022

Family Homeplace

     A couple of weeks ago, we went North to South Georgia, for a family reunion on my father's side of the family. We went up a couple of days before and made a round of various cemeteries and a trip to an important landmark for the maternal side of my family, Mosley,  in neighboring Montgomery County.  On Mosley Lane, the log cabin home built by my great great grandparents around 1890 is still standing - sort of. Marshall and Eliza Mosley raised their 9 children there; the oldest, Ben Onie, was my maternal great grandfather.  Relatives still live next door, and other relatives live along and near Mosley Lane, but the cabin has fallen into disrepair.  I'd always had hopes that it could be moved to an historic village, but I'm afraid it's too far gone now. It's still holding up pretty well considering it's 132 years old, with little to no maintenance for the last 30 years.

    I remember visiting the house several times in the 1970s and 1980s with my mother and some other relatives. One of my great great uncles, my great grandfather's brother Desso, and his wife Elvenia (aka Ell) lived in it until his death in 1979, Aunt Ell continued living there another decade or so, until about 1990.  I have memories of visiting Aunt Ell and seeing her sweep the yard around the house with a homemade broomstraw broom. Years ago, it was common practice to keep the area around the house free from grass to remove snake hiding places. The housewife or children would then be tasked with keeping the area swept. As a history buff even as a child, it was always neat to see a real-life log cabin. Decades later, it really means a lot to be able to visit and take photos, even in its current condition. It would be really neat if the family could salvage some parts of it, perhaps to be made into something else or to made into keepsakes. 


My great grandmother in front of the house c. 1973.

My great great grandparents, Marshall and Eliza Mosley, who built the house around 1890.


My great grandfather, Ben Onie, and his brother Durham who were born and raised in the house.











No comments:

Post a Comment